Lauren - Longmont, Colorado

I can find self-worth in my own accomplishments, but during those times when I

feel that my life is so insignificant that I can’t possibly make a difference, it helps to

know that I have parts of my life that are greater that me, but that I am still a part of. I

may be one person, but I support things that effect more than I ever could.

Being the child of an ex Marine a U.S. history teacher, I’ve always been very

patriotic. Regardless of who’s president, their foreign policy, or our current economic

state, I have a deep love for my country. Nothing is more of a tear-jerker for me than the

faces of veterans at the Vietnam wall and the music during “Saving Private Ryan.”

Seeing what people have sacrificed for their country and knowing they were once normal

kids like me makes me feel like I can be involved too. I’ve never voted, met a president,

or been on the front lines, but simply supporting America and being involved makes me

part of something bigger and more important than anything I, on my own, could ever

Some may call it a fruitless endeavor, but I am also a die-hard fan of the

University of Colorado Buffaloes football team. I attended every home game in the

womb the year the Buffs won the Big XII and managed to have fun still while watching

them get crushed by the Huskers in the freezing cold on my 14th birthday. Through thick

and thin, I will always be a fan and my passion for that team will always give me the

greatest feeling of belonging. Though you may not know the others in the stands, we’re

all Buff fans, and it brings us together.

So, throughout my life I will hold these truths to be self-evident; that the buffs

are the best, America rocks, and that I will always be important through my faith in

things more important than me.