Jessie - Longmont, Colorado

I believe in the yellow line

I believe that when you press the big red button; make sure you’re on the safe side of the yellow line. You know, like in the cartoons before they press the button that drops the anvil, they always stand in that little yellow safety area. I’ve always been a curious person, and it’s been known to get me in trouble. Whether it be something small like seeing how many times a full roll of toilet paper will go around my brother, or something a bit larger like seeing how long it takes my shiny new car to get to 90 miles per hour, I have always tried to remember that silly yellow line. On the safe side of it, I cleaned up the toilet paper before my parents found out, and I figured testing my speed was best saved for the interstate. Had I been on the dangerous side, I could have found myself in a bit more trouble than I would have liked.

I believe that people are curious, and are always searching for something new and unseen before. I believe this got society as far as it is, but also that the yellow lines were installed for good reason. My life isn’t full of major situations where being on the wrong side of the line would have caused too much trouble, but I do frequently end up there. Very few things are more severe than trying to see how many text messages I could use in one month. I made it all the way to 7,500, but consequently discovered my parents thought I could find something better to do with my time, and took my phone away.

I believe the Yellow line has saved my life many times when people with more power than mine have been attracted by the button. Think of all the times the world has been on the verge of nuclear war. But on the safe side of the line, peace talks saved the day.

I believe risks should be taken, but only with a strong realization of the possible consequences. Curiosity is a powerful thing, and should never be tossed aside or discouraged. Because or this, I believe the yellow line can save anyone from the destruction of the big red button.