Cody - Longmont, Colorado

I Believe in Baseball

I believe in Baseball. The chills you get when you’re walking on freshly cut carpet of grass. The anticipation you get every pitch, not knowing where the ball is going to be hit, or where the pitch is going to be thrown. The satisfaction you get when all of your hard work pays off in the game and you help your team out. I am not one of those crazed fans that know every stat every player ever played. I do follow baseball, but I appreciate for more then the game. You can learn many life lessons from playing baseball, and it can make you a better person.

Baseball is a game of failure; it is one of those games that in some cases you have to become worse before you can become better. In order to do well you have to accept failure, get over it, and give it all you have the next at bat, or groundball you get.

That was my problem when I was younger. If I did not get a hit, or do something perfect in every at bat or every play I got, I got down on myself. I was the player that nobody wanted to be close to after I did something wrong because bats, gloves, and anything else I could get a hold of would go flying. This attitude did not stop on just the baseball field. The same thing would happen in the classroom but if thankfully I would not throw my pencil because my teachers would have got pretty upset. But I could not figure out homework or kept getting the wrong answer; instead of trying harder I would just give up and not do it. That is when my grades started to slip, and I started noticing a comparison.

As I matured I started becoming better at accepting failure by realizing I will have another chance, and started to become a better ballplayer. I took the same mentality into the classroom, and showed immediate improvement. If it was not for me wanting to improve in baseball, then I would be an F student with no motivation to do anything with my life.

Life is not fair, and in no way is baseball. I have hit balls as hard as I possibly could have, to find out that it was right to the shortstop, or someone playing in the field. Same goes for the real world, you can make sure you do everything the right way. But no matter how hard you try something will go not as planned.

I believe in Baseball. The chills, anticipation, and satisfaction make baseball a great game. The lessons you learn, and the person it can mold you to be makes baseball the greatest game ever.