Karen - Ashland, Kentucky

This I Believe…

I believe you should never put something off until tomorrow. There have been so many times that many of us have said “I’ll do that tomorrow” or “I’ll go see her/him tomorrow.” Tomorrow may be too late.

My mom-maw had been ill for a while, but we really didn’t know how ill she really was. The first time we took her to the emergency room and she was admitted she had a bad experience and had decided she never wanted to go back to that same hospital again. A few weeks after she got out of the hospital the first time, she got really frail and could barely raise her head up. She was so sick, but she was determined she wasn’t going to go back to the hospital. But, the time came that she just didn’t have a choice.

The only way we could get her to go was to promise her we wouldn’t take her back to the same hospital. We arrived at the hospital, oh she was so sick, and they made her sit in the waiting room for so long. It upset me and my mom so badly, but what could we do? When she finally got a room in the ER, it was somewhat a relief just to be out of the waiting room amongst all the germs that were going around. While we waited for nearly ten hours on an actual room, my mom-maw said to me, “When I get out of here I want to go home, I mean I want to go to my house, I am tired of being a burden on you and your mom.” Standing there beside her bed, holding her hand and rubbing her hair, I promised her that I would do anything I had to do, even if it meant quitting my job; I would take her home. She was admitted on Friday, I went to see her on Saturday. Sunday I called her to tell her I would be there “tomorrow”. I had no idea “tomorrow” would be too late. My mom-maw had a massive heart attack and after hours in surgery, she passed away.

Even though I did get to tell her one last time that I love her, and I talk to her daily, just like I do Jesus, it is still the hardest thing I have ever experienced in all my life. I will always hold that sorrow in my heart because I put her off until tomorrow. Some things are just too important to put off until tomorrow…now I know.