Jason - Chandler, Arizona

The Future is what we make it

“My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man’s doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.”- Elaine Maxwell

I believe that nothing is set in stone for me. I determine my fate, my future, and my present. There is no divine path, no divine intervention, no predestined plan. There is only me. There is only me, the choices I make and the actions I take. Only I can determine what the future holds for me, what it may bring. Now I’ll admit, I was one of those people who believed that everything happened for a reason, that certain things are meant to happen to me. I’m not anymore, though. I’ve seen too many bad things happen to the people I love and have had too many bad things happen to me without reason that I just can’t bring myself to believe in it anymore.

If one person shoots another person, was the victim in the situation destined to be shot at that specific place and time? Personally, I believe that is untrue. I believe the shooter made the active decision to do what he did, not because he was “predestined” to kill someone. You could also think about it this way, how about if a police officer and a criminal are in a shoot out, and the officer takes the shot he feels is necessary. The criminal just happens to get out of the way of the bullet, and it hits a mother with her small child in the background. Now I ask you, was that fate? Was the mother’s destiny for her to die there, at that spot, with her child in her arms? I believe that is was not. The criminal simply made a choice to move out of the way.

I make the conscious choice to change my own life every minute of everyday. This, in turn, changes my futures. Every single time that I change my mind, it has the potential to alter the entire path I will walk throughout my life. I feel these decisions are not made by “god,” or by anyone other than me. I made a choice to leave my old job, in order to find a new one that would enable me to make more money. I do not believe I was “fated” to find another job, I believe that I was just in need of more money, and had to make a choice to change. I made the choice to go to college, I made the choice to get a good job, and I mades a choice to work out more, I made a choice to spend more time with my girlfriend. I do not feel like it is a hard concept for a person to grasp, in all honesty.

There are, though, people who think completely opposite of myself. I have no problem with them, or their beliefs, because the beauty of our country is that I can believe whatever I want, and they can do the same. That is what makes each and every one of us individuals. I am not one to force my own beliefs on other people, but I will say this. “Believe” what you want, but truly believe in it, stick behind it, and live by it. Don’t just say you do.