Doing Something with My Life

Ali - Glenview, Illinois

I believe in unselfish acts, I believe in waking up in the morning and stating that you are “doing something with your life”. Many individuals today cherish on what they can profit most out of life, I disagree with this. I believe that doing something for you is not as worthwhile as taking the action to contribute for the better good of humanity. I grew on this idea during my late teenage years, as I became interested to volunteer to help, even if it was not necessarily within my job description. I got this sense of urgency that I was morally obligated to help others regardless for it being my benefit.

It was early in my first workplace experience that I grew more involved in activities I would not get paid for. I became a phlebotomist (a blood collector), and as soon as I received my certificate, I assisted the nurses that I worked with in my hospital, this was not my job description, however I was able to contribute this extra task along with the work I had to do. There was no compensation for doing more work, or taking some of the burden from the nurses. So, they rejoiced, and they could see that I was interested in what I was doing, and in turn they became interested in wanting to help me with my medical education. They took it to their own hands to then teach me back different things or skills that they knew, and it was a great unity that we had established. This is not the first event that I could see a correlation between helping others. Nor was it the first realization for myself of how much happiness and sociable communication occurred when I contributed for the better good.

I later became involved in a teaching assistant role with a community college’s emergency medical technician basic provider course. After receiving my own license I helped assist the students in the class that I used to be in, there was no benefit for doing it beside the fact that I enjoyed helping others learn the material and skills I got taught when I was eager to learn. The reward of just having someone come up to you personally and ask you to show them how to correctly do a “traumatic detailed assessment” was beyond any financial or decoration status. To this day, these new EMTs I meet again in the workplace come back to me, and say that they want to work with me because I helped them to learn.

As I finally emerged into my vocation, the fire service that is. I grew to understand that there are a vast amount of people that volunteer on a day to day basis for the benefit of others, these firefighters and paramedics serve within their community for free and put their lives on the line for the better good of their community. However, this was not the only place I could see this; this goodness for humanity done by individuals of all sorts whether they built homes for others, or served them thanksgiving diners, or whether they got involved in CPR training for the layman was all beneficial for mankind. Personally I spent a lot of time with my coworkers going around to block parties and teaching small children to not fear firefighters, to not play with matches, to put on their seatbelts, passed out smoke detectors and fire safety brochures and most importantly spoke about having a plan of action/meeting place in the event of a fire. The reward of meeting interesting people and establishing a good connection with their lives and my own was more than enough.

I believe all these acts that one would take are for granted, however if you decide and enact to provide help to others, is something to live by. Being able to look back, whether it’s at the end of the day or end of my life and being able to say “I have done something with my life” is meaningful. This I believe.