Mikko - Youngstown, Ohio

Don’t Worry, Be Happy

I believe that stress is totally unnecessary. One of the most important things in life is having faith that everything will always work out. I believe in this saying that I once heard, and that I’ve tried to base my everyday life on: “Don’t worry about something you can’t affect. Also, don’t worry about something you can affect, instead affect it. The only thing you should be worried about is that by worrying about things you’re not living your life fully.”

I think having a positive attitude can help me get through any troubles that I might face in life. No matter how hopeless the situation may seem, staying positive and concentrating on the bright side will eventually make it all better. I also understand that it all starts within me. I have to change my attitude before I can change my way of thinking. This might be easier for me than others, but I do believe it is something all of us can do.

I don’t know if I’ve watched too many movies or listened to too songs about this topic, but I’ve started to think that maybe it’s not such a bad thing to live one’s life to the fullest after all. “Live your life with no regrets” is something I’ve heard people a lot smarter than me say many, many times. It’s a lesson that I’ve taken in and still believe in. That’s how I’ve decided to live my life.

I’ve faced a lot of adversity in my life so far. Being from Finland, I had to serve my mandatory time (12 months) in the military. I heard all kinds of horror stories about life in the army. The actuality is though, that one’s time is only as bad as one makes it.

There are two things that helped me get through that difficult period. My father told me a couple of days before my service started, that I shouldn’t worry about anything that might or might not happen to me during the following 12 months. He said that after it’s all over, the only memories that I’d have would be about all the good times and fun moments that I’d share with my fellow soldiers.

My best friend told me to try to be positive no matter what happens. He asked me to smile when everyone else is feeling like crap, and to enjoy all the little things I might never be able to experience again. His words were the best comfort I could’ve hoped for. So, if these advices helped me get through military, they should most certainly help me on my journey of life as well.

I believe in living my life. And not just living, but living my life stress-free and like there’s no tomorrow. I can never know what’ll happen to me today or tomorrow, which is why I’m trying my best to enjoy every precious moment and all the wonderful experiences that life has to offer.