Nick - Saco, Maine

“All the Worlds a stage,

And all the men and woman merely players:

They have their exits and entrances;

And one man in his time plays many parts,

His acts being seven ages.

-from As You Like It

I Believe in the power of the arts. Theater,drama,music, and more. They are all important. They open your world, and create friendships that will never be forgotten. They teach emotion, control, power, and courage. Being up on stage in front of ten people or i’ve hundred people is tough, and intimidating. You show control, and walk off with a sense of pride in what you just did. You spend hours and hours on one scene, memorizing each and every line. Until you can see the whole show in your head. You do the same dance moves over and over until you know exactly what your partner is going to do, how high, how quickly, or how much force here or there. You make friends everywhere, from the leads to the Chorus. Pride and recognition follow you where you go, and people recognize you, even if only for a brief moment in time.

I participated in the TA Players production of West Side Story. West Side Story is a modern interpretation of Romeo and Juliet, but is set in New York, between rival street gangs, the Jets and the Sharks. I was a gang member, a nameless entity, so to speak. I was a Shark, backing up Bernardo, duking it out with the Jets. This play was amazing for me, as I met and made many friends back stage, where the humor is always there. There where funny moments, stupid moment, and sad moments. We stand back eagerly, waiting for our cues, ready to cat. It is really funny backstage to watch someone run of stage crying or something, then once they get backstage, they burst into a huge smile. Everyone is welcome who cares to be part of the group, and all it takes is a little courage. You work with big stars, such as the “esteemed” David Hanright, and others, such as dance choreographer Tanya Thompson. It was a riot being on stage everyday, watching countless blunders being made. It honestly has to be my best high school experience so far.

The arts are an important part of life, and should be done at least once in everyone’s high school career. I did, and it did wonders for me. Give it a shot someday!