Toby - Struthers, Ohio
Themes: love, setbacks

A Life Lesson Learned From Love

I believe that life really sucks, but only if you think that way. In actuality, I believe that life is more beautiful than any of us will ever truly know. I believe that everyone should take more time to appreciate life rather than accentuating the negatives.

I have been sort of a loner for my entire life. That was until I fell in love for the first time. She was beautiful and sweet, and we had so much in common that it was scary. When we met, there was an instant chemistry and it felt incredible.

Everything was tremendous for about three years, and then things started getting a little shaky. There were a lot of arguments and hostility towards each other. I believe this was because we lived so far away. She began going to school in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, while I still lived in Struthers, Ohio.

It is very difficult to maintain a long distance relationship. I decided to take it upon myself to bring up our problems in a conversation. It was very productive and we decided it would be good to go our separate ways but to remain friends. Even though the break-up went very well, it was much more difficult to handle than I could have ever imagined.

The next couple of months were very rough! I couldn’t stop thinking about her, and I had a lot of trouble sleeping. I was even contemplating suicide; isn’t it crazy what love will make you do? That was when I was forced me to re-evaluate my situation. I had come to a crossroads. I realized that I had been neglecting myself. All of the time that we were together, I was so caught up in her that I wasn’t giving myself the proper love and care.

I couldn’t possibly take my own life; I had too many reasons to live. I had my family, I had my friends, I had myself, and most importantly of all, I had basketball. Sometimes in life, something traumatic needs to happen to remind you of all the good things about life. And it was like a light bulb went off in my head.

It was time for me to turn my life around, and that’s just what I did. I began working out, I enrolled in college at Youngstown State University, and I’m writing this paper. Hitting rock bottom isn’t all bad, if you use that as fuel to propel yourself to a better life.

I believe that life is tremendous. I believe that when I wake up in the morning, it’s going to be a great day. I believe that every experience is a positive one, even if it appears to be negative. I believe that I can accomplish whatever I want. I believe in believing!