Stephen - Poland, Ohio
Themes: sports

Value In Golf

Golf is America’s greatest pastime. I don’t say that because I love watching golf or because I think other sports are boring, but because golf is a game that anyone can enjoy. Age and physical fitness aren’t a factor in golf, unless you really want to go pro. Golf is one of those few sports that anyone can play at any time, and I don’t have to worry about everyone else playing the game.

There isn’t anything quite as exciting as the last two minutes of a close football game between division rivals. To be honest, I never watch golf save maybe the final round of The Masters. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to go golfing every week. Football isn’t something you can just pick up and play any time. In golf I only need myself and one other person to go with.

It doesn’t really matter how bad you are at golf either. I am terrible at the sport, getting lucky if I even get the ball on the fairway. Yet that doesn’t stop me from enjoying myself. The game doesn’t take the pace of my opponent but rather me. There is no perfect game in golf; you can always strive to improve. I golf with my father and my brother, both whom I will never beat in my lifetime. That doesn’t discourage me from going. I don’t even care what their scores are. I just try to improve myself every time.

What makes golf really valuable to me though is the ability to bond. There isn’t much I can do with my Dad for enjoyment, but we both love golf. Golfing with him allows me to spend time with him I couldn’t have otherwise. It lets me connect to the people important to me. It allows me to have a whole new respect for the people I golf with. I was too young to go golfing with my grandfather before he died, but I know he would be proud I took up the game.

Golfing is great because it is such a causal sport. I don’t need to be good at it, and I don’t need to have an entourage of friends to play. It doesn’t take years of physical conditioning to go out on the course and have a good time. I love golf because I don’t have to push myself to extremes. I know I have a lot of work to do before I have a decent game of golf, but I don’t have to be frustrated by that. For now I can go out to the course and enjoy myself regardless of my performance.