Amy - Saint Petersburg, Florida
Themes: carpe diem

That’s life…..That is an expression that I try to live by everyday. When I was younger and something went wrong, my mom would always say, “That’s life.” Let me tell you, it would drive me crazy when she said that. I would just ignore my mom when she said that. It was not until I got older that I really started listening when she said that. It just started to hit me that I cant get angry when something goes wrong, I need to realize that well, shit happens!

When my grandma died, I lost a part of my heart. She had cancer, but that is not what killed her. She fell at home and had to go in for a hip replacement only at age 62. She could not come home while recovering, so she had to go in a somewhat nursing home. That definitely was not permanent. As soon as she was done recovering, we would bring her back home. I always wondered if she knew that. I know that she knew that, but did she believe it or did she think that my Aunt preferred her there rather than at her house. That always bugged me. I visited her basically everyday. One of the last visits I brought my dog to show her the Halloween costume I bought for him. Later that night my mom, dad, and I went to visit her before we went to dinner. I told her that I loved he and I’d see her this weekend. I did not get that chance. She got a virus while recovering and passed away the next day. I was so angry because it just wasn’t fair. It has been almost two years and I am just getting over it. I finally realized that, that’s life. People live and die. All that is important is that she is in heaven with my papa and she isn’t feeling anymore pain.

That expression made it’s finally stick to me when I was in Miami, Fl picking up my parents from a cruise. My boyfriend and I had a horrible time. I was basically crying because it was just such a miserable visit. One day Chris and I were shopping and came across a shop and in that shop was a shirt. It was a white shirt and in blue writing had the expression, “That’s Life,” written all over. Maybe it was a sign, maybe it wasn’t, either way that expression became the way I live my life today. I still might cry in a bad situation, but I realize that tears or anger will not change a thing, that’s life.