Ethan - Saco, Maine
Themes: nature

A Healthy Body is One That Gets Outdoors

Growing up in Maine, I have always been surround by the wilderness. Ever since I could go out on my own I have hiked through the woods and gone fishing with my friends. Lately, with all of the technology that surrounds us during everyday life, we have started to lose touch with the outdoors. Many kids today are more interested in getting to the next level on their new video game, or chatting online with friends, than getting outside. I believe that being active and adventuring through the woods is the best way to feel healthy. I believe in getting outdoors.

Taking a trip to the wilderness is the best thing you can do for yourself. Nothing can match the peace and quiet of simply being in the backwoods with t some hiking equipment, a fishing pole, and a water bottle. I have found great stress relief in the tranquil sound of bugs and birds, buzzing and chirping. The fresh air, beautiful sights, and the quiet are a welcomed change to the hustle and bustle of the city. The wilderness is my escape from the world.

The first time I went trout fishing and hiking I was eight years old. My father and I went on a day trip to multiple streams and just talked about what was happening in our lives. I will never forget the first time I felt that ten inch trout pulling on the line of my fishing pole. I could not hold back my excitement, and eagerness to get the fish on shore.I still get excited when a large brook trout is giving me a fight. I thank my dad for showing me something that I will take with me forever. That one day hooked me on getting outdoors and it has benefited me in more ways than I can imagine.

To me the wilderness is more than just trees and streams; it is a stress reliever, thrill ride, and exercise machine. Without it I would probably be sitting at home on the couch and watching television, worrying about everything that I am going to have to deal with the next day. Instead, I am a healthy and willing person who is ready to try new things. This is why I believe in getting outdoors.