Stephanie - nashua, New Hampshire

I believe in living life to the fullest. I believe in taking chances with the hope of something good resulting from them. Life is too short to not enjoy almost every moment of it. A bad thing is bound to happen throughout your life but is important to fight through the rough times and move forward.

My chance I take every day is playing sports and hoping not to get injured. I play many sports, soccer being my very top priority. I guess that is mainly because it is really the only thing I am good at. I’ve been playing for years and years, seasons after seasons. Yes, I’ve broken my wrist and have sprained my ankles a few times, but my most serious injury brought me down a lot more than I ever expected. I tore my ACL and my MCL. It happened one week before our championship game for the state cup. The worst part about it was that it happened during a practice scrimmage, not even a regulation game!

When it happened I didn’t even know right away. It was Memorial Day weekend, so when my parents took me to the doctors there was literally a line out the doors with kids with injuries. I even recognized some players that I have competed against before. When my doctor examined my knee, he told me I just had a “pretty bad” bruise. He told me that I would have to sit out for at least two weeks. I started to cry when we left because I knew I would have to sit out for our State Cup game. Yet my parents, my coach and all my teammates kept telling me I should be glad because it could have been much worse.

The following week was the saddest week of my life. Or, at least at the time, I thought it was. I sat and watched my teammates train so hard for that week, so that we could win on Saturday. When Saturday came around my team was confident and pumped. The girls fought extremely hard for a win but we came up a little short. We lost the state cup came 1-0.

About a month after as I started practicing again, my knee was not feeling any better. I would constantly come home from practice in serious pain. My mom called the local orthopedic surgeon for an appointment a.s.a.p. After the long process of MRIs and examinations, I was told I had torn my ACL and my MCL.

From there on out, I thought for sure my soccer career was over. A few months later, on August 16th, 2006, I had reconstructive surgery on my knee. That was only three days before my 16th birthday! What a drag. As if that wasn’t bad enough, physical therapy sessions started shortly after. I despised going to my appointments. I thought the things they made me do was so embarrassing and I felt it was just a big waste of time. Since I really didn’t have a positive attitude towards it, I didn’t realize how much progress I had actually been making. Now it is March 2007, months after my surgery, and I am back up and running.

For the spring I am going out for the school’s lacrosse team and then also a travel soccer team. I can not wait until my senior year fall season at the High School. With everything that has happened, I am definitely going to make that season count. I believe that nothing should ever stop you from living your life to the absolute fullest. I know my injury didn’t stop me!