Jonathan - East Bernstadt, Kentucky

When asked what I believed I noticed I could look at this question with many different perspectives—religion, morals, or thoughts. The most logical way to answer this broad question would be to claim that what I believe is to make my time here on earth worth while and valuable to my expectations or both. The most valuable aspect in life on earth is time and I must maximize the enjoyable moments—spending time with my family, friends, and doing things I enjoy. James Dean once said, “Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” If I could model my life after one quote, that would be the one.

Today’s society is always in a rush. Whether it is to meet the dead line of a paper, to get to the nearest sale at the mall, or to be on time for a ballgame people run rampant to get to their appointed places. Every day I have tasks ahead of me that must be done; whether it is by my choice or not they still must be done. This limits my free time to enjoy the great things of life. When time is of the essence, people should always do what they want, inside legal means. Being forced to do things I do not want to do, makes me enjoy life less.

When I push myself to the limit, I get exhausted. I wake up at 4:30a.m. two days a week to go to work. This job allows me to make a minimal amount of money, so I can give some help to the world. I get so exhausted that I have trouble enjoying my life. Instead of outside playing games with my family or going to visit my friends, I find myself in front of the television catching small ten second naps. I sometimes can not believe that I have let myself fall into this trap, and realize I need to make a change. My change will come when I graduate from college and I work my own hours. The longest hours of my day will be spent with my wife and kids and taking part in all they do. Not only me, but the world should try and accomplish the same things.

Each New Year the people of the world are filled with mixed emotions whether it is a happy time or sad time. The people with sad emotions are discouraged over the fact they have not accomplished the tasks they had set out to do in the previous year, mainly because they feel they have simply run out of time. I have a different perspective. My sad emotions are because I have not been able to see my family and friends enough or had as many special experiences. If my new year is sad, like it has been several times, I have realized what I need to enjoy my life better. The people with happy emotions are just glad to have made it through with accomplishing tasks and have the confidence that the next year will even be better. I disagree with them too. My happy emotions are coined by looking back and recapping special times—birthdays, Easter, Christmas, trips I have taken, and other quality time I have taken with those close to me. If my new year is happy I should continue with my ways. I believe I am the one who determines my success, not measured by the ways of the world in accomplished tasks.

Everyone’s future lies in the hands of the beholder. I will determine my own future. I have only lived for nineteen years, but I am confident that I have a firm grip on what I want out of life. I do want a home and a car, I don’t want to be homeless, but to say that I have to have the best of the best is incorrect. I have been a witness to many of my friends’ lives and some of their parents are nowhere to be found. I have seen these kids search and reach out for love and an emotional support. When I have kids, I want to be that. When I have a wife, I want to be the one who spends quality time with her and makes her happy. I do not want to be so uptight about money and worldly accomplishments that I cannot look to the everyday positives of a great family surrounding me.