Kaela - Mesa, Arizona

Have Faith In Me

I believe in the general goodness of man. The debate between man’s predisposed behavior of doing evil dates back to the time of Adam and Eve. Perhaps this is childlike and naïve yet my faith remains firm in the human race; even as the news depicts inhuman crimes and other despicable evils. One Saturday I was watching a 4 year old boy named Damien. We had to go to the store to buy some groceries and as we were leaving a scruffy looking man walked in. His clothes were raggedy and his eyes told a story of a much suffering. To some children this man may have been scary but not to Damien. He stretched out his arm and waved and said “Hello”. The man looked taken back but he then came over and started talking to Damien. It appeared that Damien’s unjudging heart softened the man’s demeanor. It was then that I knew Damien also believed in the general goodness of people and I knew it was okay. I believe everybody has that childlike innocence in our hearts and that our social obligations as a citizen often do not permit us to believe in one another. One definition of faith is belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. And I have faith that there are more good works that go on then bad ones. Just remember as you sit at a light and a man is crossing the street how he must feel hearing the clicks of the locks of your car just to be sure the doors are locked and how without saying a word you have just assumed everything he is. Now I am not talking about having a blind faith within people you do not know. But remember it is often our instincts that save us not our judgments. I have faith in the general goodness of man, do you?