Ralph - Chandler, Arizona
Themes: community, hope, love

The rain, making it impossible to concentrate on the freeway, causes me to focus inward. I’ve been missing something lately, and I can’t quite put my finger on it. I pull into the covered parking in my apartment complex and begin to trudge up the stairs. My mind starts to wander…

Each raindrop falls because it has to. They fall… and they fall together.

What it must be like to be one of them. Hiding in a cloud, waiting to dance on the wind and fulfill a glorious destiny of death and rebirth. To alone be meaningless, but to share the confidence of billions who are ready to cause such beautiful chaos. To be given a powerfully soothing melody to play upon slumped shoulders and heavy brows. To make instruments of even the most mundane of surfaces! To celebrate victory in sodden pavement beds… and to march defiantly through the gutters, where it is said nothing beautiful belongs. To come to a satisfied and peaceful rest awaiting the return of the sun to raise his children back up to the sky above.

I can only sigh, letting the air they have helped make cool and crisp into my lungs.

Oh, to be a drop of rain.

I know now more than ever what it is that I want… What it is that all of us need… Community. Togetherness. Hope.

I open the door to my apartment, but I can’t bring myself to step inside. Not until I am soaking wet, completely saturated by nature’s offering. My wife approaches the doorway and I swiftly embrace her, pulling her into the rain. “We’ve got a long way to go,” I tell her. “But I believe we can do it together.”