Jared - Nashua, New Hampshire

I Believe In Staying Active

I believe in staying active with extracurricular activities. Too many kids my age get involved with bad people who get them into bad situations and it just amazes me how some of these kids could throw there lives away. I hear of kids my age getting involved with different substance abuse, girls getting pregnant and others just breaking the law. I can’t imagine what I’d do if I was in a situation like some of those kids, and that’s part of the reason why I like to stay active after school. That’s part of the reason why I’m involved with sports.

If you take a look at these kids who are always getting in trouble; usually they aren’t involved in any extra curricular activities. This doesn’t apply to everyone but it does to a lot of people. Whether you’re involved with sports, band, after school clubs and even having a job will usually keep a lot of kids out of trouble. They teach you responsibility, occupy your time after school, and most importantly if you are caught doing something bad you will usually get fired from your job or kicked off of your team/club.

Extra curricular activities teach you many things. They teach you loyalty to others, how to never give in to anything, and to always know who you’re true friends are. I personally loved to be pushed to the limit. I love being pushed and strained as hard as I physically can without becoming ill or injured in some physical way. I never give in to anything. Whether it’s peer pressure, others trying to change me, or most certainly a challenge, I never given in. What can I say I’m a Taurus its natural instinct to fight for what I believe in and to be stubborn. The best part about being pushed is when you’ve completed your task. Whether if your in band you finally nail that complex solo in your ensemble, or if you’re an athlete and become victorious through your hard work, or if you do a hard community service project benefiting others. It’s the best because at the end of it, you know that you are that much of a better musician, athlete, or average person.

Same philosophy can apply to staying clean, sober and crime free. Every time I decide to not do something that may harm me, it makes me that much stronger. Staying active pushes me to stay clean and to not get involved with all these bad things. By doing these types of activities you learn to never give in to anything. Some kids that get involved can’t handle being pushed and give up on themselves, and lose the fight inside them to resist illegal substances and crime. It’s these kids that have lost the drive, want, and desire to keep being pushed to improve at whatever there doing. I owe my desire to improve as an athlete, become a better student, and staying clean and sober; from extra curricular activities. Staying active has helped me stay clean, sober, and crime free; this I believe.