Leann - Richmond, Kentucky

“This I Believe”

I believe in the Trinity — the power of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost. I was raised in a strict Baptist home in West Liberty, Kentucky and was saved and baptized at the age of eight. My family members have often said that I had unanticipated religious testimonies at a very early age. I often sang in church with my family and advocated for abstinence in my high school. Although I have a family rooted in religion, that is not the primary reason for my submission to Christ. As a child I was diagnosed with Asthma and had a hard time playing as an average child. I prayed that God would heal me, and he did. I went on to play a variety of sports including Volleyball, Tennis, Track & Field, and Cheerleading. Also, my mother was diagnosed with heart disease that threatened her very existence. She was anointed at my church and upon returning to the hospital the doctor confessed something phenomenal had taken place, it was as if she had a new heart. He further said that he no longer needed to see her. To this day she does not have any traces of that terrible disease. People call religion blind faith, but I am not blind to its results. As some say it is as plain as the hand in front of ones face. In my case it is as plain as my mother’s electrocardiographs.

Currently a second semester freshman in college, I have grown to trust even more in what I believe. For example, I recently learned in a class that the Bible is commonly used for historical reference, as its events have been proven. Also, in reading great thinkers like Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas and John Locke, I was introduced to many other convincing points for my beliefs. First of all, how can there be a product without a creator? As Aristotle says, everything created has a creator. Thus, how can we have a pot without a potter or a world without a maker? Does this idea sound less rational than the theories individuals provide today, such as the big bang theory? How can it be more convincing to believe in a random poof than an ultimate being? Whether or not people want to admit it, God is in everyone’s thoughts, whether they are thinking of ways to proclaim his existence or thinking of ways to disprove it.