Cem - Champaign, Illinois

I believe I am stuck. The word stuck can mean a million different things, and this holds true for me. The only rule applied to being stuck is the fact that you have to be stuck between two things. Being stuck can be a positive thing, and a negative thing. If I said I believe I was stuck in traffic it would be bad. If I said I was the marinara sauce between the dough and the cheese of a pizza screaming out for help, it would be even worse. I could also say that I am stuck between a pizza restaurant and a frat house. The obnoxious party noise coming from the frat house and the constant smell of pizza are in themselves make me stuck in their seduction. Should I drink like crazy and let loose with people I don’t know simply to enjoy free drinks or should I give into the smell of melted cheese and fresh baked dough that are so refreshingly artery clogging? I must approach the pizza like I would approach someone at a strip club; I can look, I can smell, but I can not touch, because if I do touch a 600 pound bodyguard will have to pay me a visit. I am constantly stuck between choices, stuck in seduction, and simply stuck in class. Ever wondered why you made the effort to go somewhere just for a couple participation points? Is 1 point of participation that is 10% of my grade worth me waking up and leaving my dream of fantasy and adventure? What if I’m a pirate on a journey of treasure or Superman’s sidekick helping him fight crime? Everyday just when I was about to save the day participation point-man comes along and beats me to it.

Even though I am stuck in a million different ways, I am glad to be stuck. I am stuck between two religions. Being the only child of two parents from very different religions makes me confused and stuck, perhaps that’s why I don’t believe in either of the two. However this gives me an open mind, because I know that I am the living example that in today’s world Christians and Muslims can live together. I am stuck, but I am also one hope in a world slowly going haywire because of religious conflict. I am stuck between my old home and my new home. I was recently granted citizenship and lost my alien resident status. At least when I was an alien I knew that my old planet was the one that I belonged to. I lost my alien status, but I didn’t lose my spaceship along with it. I still have the power to travel back and forth, and this time I realized that I belong in two places, but I also realized I can be a chameleon changing my color according to the place I’m in. Tonight I will be stuck in choosing which country’s food to eat. Should I go with Turkish kebabs or American hot dogs? Whatever the situation is, I know I’ll always be stuck, but at least I can always pretend I’m a pirate on the open seas until I finally realize how nice it is to be stuck. Now that, I really do believe.