Sarah - Round Rock, Texas

Believing in Something Unseen

I cannot change the fact that my parents got divorced. I cannot change that I am in the middle of a war that I know will last for years. I can however, hope. I can hope to live another day so I can help mend the pieces of my mother’s broken heart. I can hope to find the strength to tell my father how I truly feel about his alcohol addiction. I can hope that I will learn from my parents’ mistakes so I will not make them myself. My parents’ story is consumed by the divorce. Unlike my parents, my story will not be destroyed by this event because I have hope.

Hebrews 11:1 in the Bible states, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” I have the ability to hope for guidance from God because I know that I do not know everything. In order to have hope one must have faith in God because both go hand in hand. If I have faith in God then I know nothing can stand against me. I have hope that God will not put me through a storm I cannot endure. Hope keeps me fighting the battles life throws my way because I know there is a lesson to be learned.

I believe hope is essential in my life to justify the unthinkable- the hurt, the pain, the embarrassment, and the sides I am forced to choose. I believe hope pushes me to accomplish the steps it takes to become a successful teacher, a loving mother, and servant of God. And above all I believe hope encourages me to never give up. Hope allows me to wake up in the morning knowing that my world has just been turned upside down with my parents’ divorce. I have the ability to hope because God wants something good to come from my life. My Papa told me on the day of my baptism that I was put on this Earth to make a difference and I have the hope that I will fulfill my destiny.

I believe in the hope that my story is not over. I have hope that I will continue to write the chapters of my life even though some stories, such as my parents’ divorce, do not have closure. I have hope that my life’s journey does not end when I hit rock bottom because I know I can only go up from here. I have hope that in writing my story I will be able to delete the unnecessary and edit the transitions in order to keep writing my book. I have hope I will be able finish my story giving the opportunity that I live another day.