Brent - San Antonio, Texas

I Believe in Him Who is Here for Me

“I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go” (Genesis 28:15). God spoke these words to Abraham in a time of many trials as he speaks these words to me every day of my life. I believe that while best friends, girlfriends, and family will leave me, God will never abandon me, no matter what.

Almost two weeks ago, my best friend left for the U.S. Navy to become a Seal! I’m so proud of him for finally doing this, but it still hurts to lose my best friend of fourteen years; the guy who I played football with in the street, who came over Christmas morning to help me open my presents, who I’ve competed with in every aspect, just for fun. I know he didn’t want to leave, but things changes when a person takes that next step in life. Now I have to count the weeks until my “brother from another mother” comes back.

I was in an on and off relationship with a girl for about two and a half years; not like a light switch, but a candle that flickers and fades in and out. The light faded quickly when she started seeking attention from other guys. She looked away from me and found what she needed in others. After the relationship diminished to nearly nothing, it was just a pile of burnt out crud, like all candles that eventually go out.

A candle that burned so brightly for me went out about three years ago. My grandpa died after three years of battling leukemia. He was a light for me in the dark times of my life and, as a common Christian hymn states, “a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” He was a mentor and a wonderful example of what a Christian man should be. His last act as a Christian was to answer God’s call to come home to be with Him forever!

Until the time that God calls me home to be with Him forever, I must let Him be with me and lead me throughout my Earthly life. My family put a sign up on the hallway wall that reads, “If you don’t feel close to God, guess who moved!” Even when I walk away from Him, He follows me and is there for me when I am ready to come back to Him. He was there for me when my best friend left for the Navy. He was there when my girlfriend left me for someone else, and He was there to receive my grandfather to take him home. God is always there for me and for all who come to Him. I tell you the truth, He is “with me and will watch over [me] wherever [I] go.” Amen.