Courtney - Tullahoma, Tennessee
Themes: family, love

I believe in Saturday nights with my family. Once a month on a Saturday night my extended family laughs and loves while around the dinner table. From the oldest grandparent to the youngest child we eat southern-style food and share stories of the moment. Saturday nights with my family is when I learn about my past and how it will influence my future. Saturday nights with my family is when I find love all around me. Being the quietest member of my family, Saturday nights is when I observe. I watch to see who is about to announce something big, like a wedding or a baby. I watch to see attitudes and new developments.

I believe in Saturday nights with my family because I know I am loved. I walk in the door to hugs and acclimations of love. To my grandparents, aunts, and uncles asking about my college. To people genuinely interested in my well-being. I believe in Saturday nights with my family because I rarely see them. I live five hours from the people I love and only see them on these Saturday nights.

My grandfather’s retired, my aunts are elementary school teachers, my dad is an engineer, my family owns farmland, my cousins teach school, and through them and my Saturday nights I know what I want to do in life. I want to teach mathematics. I want to love my family the way I am loved. I want to wake up each day and see the beauty of this world. They’ve poured so much into my life through these Saturday nights so that my life overflows.