Thalia - El Paso, Texas

I believe the salvation of art is a universal language that helps us understand each other.

Art inspires people to open up their mind and offer the world release from everyday turmoil. It may come from painting, drawing, writing a poem, a song, or even from knitting. Any artwork contains feelings and emotions that a person cannot share otherwise, and it allows us to communicate with all different types of people.

My favorite hobby is painting. I have been in two art classes, and I have had the opportunity to learn different methods and incorporate them into my own projects. When I paint, all my problems disappear. I am in my own world, and I do not need to think about the bad things that happened at school, or at home. I do not let a bad day bring me down. I would rather turn a bad situation into a positive one. When I finish a project, I ask others to let me know what they think.

It is very interesting to hear the different interpretations people come up with. A few months ago, I entered a competition called VASE (Visual Art Scholastic Event.) I painted a picture of my sister holding my 6-month old nephew. At the VASE competition, I had to speak to a judge and explain my painting. He had to rate my painting from 1 to 4 (4 being the highest rating possible.) The interview was not intimidating, since it was more like a laid-back conversation between friends. He told me what he thought about the painting, and the conclusions he drew from it. He brought up very interesting points that I had never considered while painting. We continued to share different thoughts, and we both learned a lot from each other. By the time I left the room, I had a fresh, new perspective on something I had created.

It helps to hear others say that they understand where I am coming from. Art helps me realize that I am not alone; that there is at least one person out there who feels the same way I do. Art reminds people that everyone has something in common. No matter how old or young, we all have a strong connection that binds us together, even when there are so many problems we must deal with every day.