Shannon - Louisville, Kentucky

I believe that everything we do, every choice we make and every decision we choose happens for a reason. I believe in this philosophy. It may be above our power as to why this happens or maybe it is the result of our actions, but I do believe that every single thing that happens to us during our lives is for certain reasons, whether we learn from them or grow because of them.

My father was a very skilled golf player through his high school years. During his senior year, he was offered a scholarship to play at one of the top Division One schools in Ohio. As he began to train harder and harder to prepare, he put his body through intense physical training. One day, he ended up hurting his elbow so badly that he had to have surgery. The result was that he was no longer able to compete with the best golfers and instead he chose to attend a small university to play golf. At this college, not only did he receive a good education, but he ended up meeting my mother. They soon fell in love and after six years of dating, they finally got married. Today, they are still happily together and have had a total of four children.

I believe that there was some sort of strange reason as to why my father hurt his elbow and couldn’t succeed in playing golf. If he didn’t get hurt, neither my siblings nor I would even be here today.

I believe that things like that happen to every single one of us everyday. They may not all produce results, such as meeting the love of your life, but I think that instances that happen daily affect all of us. When you make a mistake, usually you are able to learn from it, something I believe happens for a reason.

For example, I dated someone for a year before I realized that we were totally wrong for each other. I kept dating him though because I felt like we would be able to work through our difficulties and that we would be able to make our differences go away. Well, after another year of dating, things only got worse before I knew that we had to end it. I soon realized that after dating someone totally wrong for me, I knew what I wanted from a boyfriend. That relationship helped me realize what I was really looking for, and if I hadn’t gone through that one, I never would have realized what I wanted.

Everything we deal with doesn’t always have to involve romantic choices. There are many other examples I could use to express how this philosophy has affected my life. When I was younger, I was shopping in a grocery store with my mother. Somehow, I weaseled my way over to the candy aisle (without my mom knowing) and saw the massive amounts of candy being displayed in clear containers. The temptation was too much for my young self, and I had to open up the container and grab a handful of those delicious looking gummy worms. I started eating them, and before I knew it, was tapped on the back by an employee who worked at the grocery. I got caught red-handed and was escorted back to my mother. That fateful day I was taught how wrong it was to steal things. My mother made to sure to punish me to show me how much of a bad decision that was. To this day I would never even consider stealing anything because that lesson has stuck with me throughout all the years.

I truly believe in this philosophy. It can affect our romantic choices, create lessons that help develop who we are as people today, or involve other aspects of our lives. Whether we learn from or grow because our mistakes, for one reason or another, everything that we do happens for a reason.