Charles - Calabasas, California

As the semester is coming to an end, stress is as thick as the rain clouds that keep coming and going these past few days. As classes are coming to a close, the looming due dates bring in torrents of pressure and gut wrenching worry.

I am in the final hour of a very long day, one which I want to end but I know I shouldn’t. That essay isn’t done, I’ll have to get up early to finish it – hell to start it. I can literally feel the weight of all my assignments pressing down on me. Maybe an elephant too, since paper isn’t all that heavy.

Now is the time for me to make a decision. A little voice is screaming in my head, “Give Up!” I’ve heard this voice a lot lately, and the occasions I’ve listened to it have brought me to this point. I have a choice to make: To give up, or not to give up. That is the question.

To take the easy way out might feel good for a few days, maybe even a week, but will I regret it? Yes. Simply put, I need to find the strength to travel the hard path. The strength to pick myself up and remove the weight I feel engulfing me. And I think I found it inside the beauty lying right next to me as I write this. Her name is Lauren – she is the source of my strength and her support the source of my will.

When life is too much to take; when you’re at wit’s end; when you feel like giving up; you have to reach out to something, or someone, to keep you from sinking. Sometimes this lifesaver is something you already knew about, sometimes it’s completely foreign to you. Either way, it is what empowers you to face the odds. Something that has you unabated in your decision to succeed or die trying. For me it is the wonderful girl at my side. For you, or him, or her, it is something different entirely.

I have made my decision. I wonder who else will be in the library at 7:00 AM…

My strength, my resolve to succeed, is already pumping me up. I already feel invincible compared to 10 minutes ago when I started writing. I know that tomorrow I can take on the world.

When everything is too much, reach out. Everyone has something in their lives which gives them strength. Something to fight for. Something to win for. Whether it is a goal, a relationship, family, art, music, or even just relaxing with your toes in the sand, everyone has strength inside them that comes out with a little help. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, as the old adage goes.

Everyone has strength hidden somewhere, you just need to find it.

This I believe…