Lizette - El Paso, Texas

This I believe full time is overtime.

School plays a very big role in all our lives. On average a child takes 13-14 years of school not including college. We begin school at a young age and graduate high school at an average of 18 years of age. We spend more time in school with our teachers and class mates than we do with our family. The entire time we attend school is when our growth and development take place and helps create the people we will become. In reality, school plays the most important role in our future.

Being a teacher is a fragile occupation. I have come to realize any little decision by the teacher has a long term effect on the students. Teachers have to engage with over one hundred students a day. They build relationships with students and learn each individual weaknesses and strengths. They recognize the importance of their approach in the classroom and use it to create strong men and women of our future. Life long lessons are taught in a classroom, and at times the teacher may not be aware of it. They allow us to bring forth what our individuality has to offer to others. There was a time when we had a White student that didn’t know much, if any, about different cultures and races. And we had an Asian student that was allowed to bring his experience, culture and language into the classroom. The students identified the differences and similarities between cultures. Our teacher taught us that the differences amongst each other are nothing to be feared, but instead learn to embrace our differences and grow as kids, as people, as a society, and more importantly as the future generation. My teacher may have prevented future discrimination or eliminated the creation of racism. We became more culturally diverse in one classroom lesson.

Mr. H was my high school English teacher. He was a man who always had a joke up his sleeve. He was a man who wore his heart on his sleeve proudly. When he spoke to his classroom, it was as if he was one of us, a young student, and would make us laugh with his sarcasm. His class was one of my hardest classes, and at the same times my favorite. If he recognized a student to be having a bad day, he would work his curriculum in a way that kept this particular student s attention while cheering the student up. That is not required when applications are taken to fill a teacher position. This simply shows that teachers care for their students by relieving the burden from students and putting it on themselves. I remember a sign that read on his wall “My door is always open.”

Full time parent.

Full time guide.

Full time advisor.

Full time friend.

Full time teacher.