Samantha - Louisville, Kentucky

This I believe…

One thing I have always told people to do is to follow their dreams. I encourage people to be strong and be themselves. I believe in searching for happiness. The only way to be happy is to follow your dreams. Never settle for less. Everyone should do what they love to do. Being happy is one of the most important values a person can poses in life. It can also be one of the hardest things to posses.

I myself have struggled most of my life trying to find what makes me happy. Sure I have family, friends, pets, and a boyfriend that make me happy, but something is missing. That is a question that I ask myself everyday. What exactly is missing? I believe that it is important for people to think about what makes them happy and what interests them. I have recently found out what truly interests me and makes me happy, and it is fashion design. I have always loved fashion. I would stay up all night flipping through the pages of my new Vogue. I had never actually thought of actually pursuing a career in this field. It has always been expected of me to go to a “normal” college and get a “normal” job like everyone else. So all through high school I acted like everyone else. I even came here doing the same thing. Soon I realized that I was different and had very different dreams.

Of course there is always the question of, should I go to school and study law or medicine and have a “safe job” waiting for me when I get out of school like is expected of me? I would never in a million years want to let down my parents. Well I have decided, and I am going to follow my dreams. It took me awhile to come to this conclusion, but in the end I think it will definitely be worth it.

My boyfriend often jokes with me, “Yea Sam, when we get married you can stay home with the kids and do the cleaning.” Notice that he does not say cooking, and that is only because I cannot cook, but you get the point. Of course he is always joking when he says this, but it really does bother me. Sure if my dream was to be a stay at home mom that would be great, but it is not. I would not be satisfied with that. I only have one life. I want to do as much as I can with it. Fashion to me is so many things. It is a dream I would like to make a reality. It is a profession, happiness, expression, a way of life, a future… I could go on forever.

I think it is important to be spontaneous and take risks. I have lived my entire life being the quiet, shy, safe one. This has gotten me nowhere. I have learned that you have to be bold and spontaneous sometimes. Take risks and you will usually get much further. Of course a risk is a risk. There is always a possibility for failure. I truly believe that if you really put everything you have into your dreams, they will come true. Hopefully my new “spontaneous” personality will help me to follow my dreams and will bring me to happiness. There are always going to be risks that everyone will have to take, but I hope it brings happiness in the end. I believe in searching for happiness. I believe in taking risks and being spontaneous in order to follow your dreams.