Marie - Ingleside, Illinois

I know that I cannot depend on anyone else. I can only depend on myself. When I think of my future and the life I want to live, I know I cannot depend on my parents to give me money, food, and a place to live for the rest of my life. If I want to get married and start a family someday, I know I can’t depend on my best friend to hook me up with a hot date that will last the rest of my life. There’s a saying I heard when I was a little girl that, “If you want something done right the first time, do it yourself,” and ever since that day, I have lived up to that philosophy.

If I always depend on someone else to help live my life, am I really living? I am proud of my accomplishments and the fact that I did it all on my own makes me feel self-satisfied. For example, I bought my horse about three years ago and she had no clue what to do or how to carry a rider. Through time I trained her from the ground up and eventually got on her. I realized no one else is going to train her to do the things I want to do or teach her to ride the way I ride, so I did it myself. Three years later, a man falls in-love with her and offers 10-15,000 dollars to buy her. This made me proud of myself and knowing I did it all by myself is more rewarding than sweet treats could ever give me.

Someone that really comes to mind in terms of neediness is my friend Steve. He has credit card debts, bills, rent, and no job. Recently he got arrested, for the third time, on class two and four felony, with a five thousand dollar bond. With no money, he depends on his girlfriend to bail him out. On top of that, he tells her not to worry and that he will be fine. Steve will never learn. He’ll always need a crutch to live.

Nothing lasts forever. I won’t be living here forever, and I won’t have my friends around when I move. Knowing this, I’ve learned to save money, discipline myself, and know my priorities. I’ve learned to depend on myself in the future. When I hit a couple rocky roads, and bills, ten a month, start to pile up, I know that I can depend on myself to get things done and to live the life I want to live. My future is in my hands and my hands only. Only I have the power to do what I want to do.