Dennis - Tucson, Arizona

I believe in the intelligence of nature. There is something happening in evolution that goes beyond random and natural selection. There must be another explanation for how a plant develops a stomach with digestive juices & the smell of rotten meat and leaves with “teeth” that can snap together rapidly enough to trap the attracted insects or how viruses complete their life cycle through the use of plants & insects or how Finches in the Gallapagos can grow bills an inch or more longer within three to five generations in response to the presence of deep throated flowers.

There seems to be a symbiotic relationship between DNA and its immediate environment, in which a change in conditions sensed by a form of proprioception produces a new survival strategy which can’t be arrived at in steps, but seems to have a prior organization & intent behind it. That intent is possibly realized through imitation. The baitfish and bait crab grow a fish on their head to attract fish they can eat. Biological nature seems to be connected like subatomic particles which affect & change each other across thousands of miles. Max Plank surmised that the universe may be consciousness manifesting itself in matter.

I have no desire to take the leap from that to a dogma or a creator but I believe nature is all connected through a vast sympathy and when we sense that we can live more completely. I believe any of us can get there if we just let our selves go. And, if we survive, we have to get there.. All the devastation we have wrought points to how lost we are when we leave our own natural intelligence to live in the world of self as concept and numbers which the narcissism of the mass murderer and media star both presuppose.

I also look into the eyes of whales, dolphins, elephants, apes, parrots, and into the eye of the coming storm and think people may not be very smart, but physics has proved that matter can be generated out of nothing. And nature is capable of coming back from nothing and producing any number of intelligences equal to and greater than our own. . Can I be this sanguine when I’m upset or facing my own death? No, but whatever happens, whether as individuals or as a species we endure or die and another life form emerges, somewhere out there beyond all our little games it’s all connected, and somewhere deep inside I think we all know it just has to be OK.