Tyler - Dayton, Maine

This I believe

I believe that the U.S. is a fading light. Most of the grandeur and pride is gone. What does it truly mean to be an American now? What has happened to the culture of our ancestors, and the pride they took in building this great empire? I believe America is dying, our culture too expensive for even the middle class to live comfortably. I have often wondered what the history books will say about us. Will my great-grandchildren look back and pity me? Or will they be in an even worse position than I am?

I was not born into a family with money, as my Dad often reminds me, and I have seen some hard times. I still have nice things, such as my ipod and Xbox, but what are those things really worth? When I stand before those pearly gates and St. Peter asks me what I did in life to deserve heaven, am I really going to tell him all the material things I possessed that made my life fun and easy? Or am I going to tell him I had pride and a purpose? I believe our culture focuses too much on personal items, ipods and video games are great, they keep me and my friends entertained. We don’t really need them though. When I look back at how I spent my time as an American, is how much money I made, or how big my house is, really going to matter? To all those little gangsters running around, I want to scream at them, “Get a Belt! Have some pride and decency with your actions.” They drive me nuts!!! They disgust me! They’re rude, crude, and have no sense of honor. I hate it when I hear people talking about what a waste my generation is. I feel so cruddy when I hear it, because I want to live up to what my grandparents have accomplished. I want to make them proud, and show them that we can build off of what they did, that their efforts were not in vain. Unfortunately it’s not the way of things now a days, where everything is all high tech and no one has much time for each other. I’m not looking for a knight’s code of chivalry, but I think we could definitely show more courtesy towards each other.

I want to look back on my time and say, ”I didn’t build this country, but I sure made it better”. I believe America is dying, but I do not believe it is lost. There is still hope if we work together.