Robert - Deerfield, Illinois

I believe in working hard to achieve your short and long term goals. I believe that people should work for what they get and not just be given their opportunities.

I live in an upscale neighborhood on the north shore, and went to a high school where the majority of the kids were just handed money, trips, and cars. Their parents were rich, so anything they wanted was at their fingertips. These kids did not work for anything that they got, and now most of them have dropped out of college because a lack of motivation and too much partying, and now they are not doing anything productive with their lives. I began working my sophomore year of high school in order to pay for things on my own, such as a car, cell phone, gas, and clothes.

After completing high school, I decided to further my education to pursue my dream of following in my mother’s footsteps and joining the federal law enforcement. College has been a difficult journey for me because of my learning disability and lack of interest in certain subjects. I have had some minor setbacks, for example having to retake some classes. These setbacks have not kept me from pursuing my dream; they’ve only pushed me harder.

My mother grew up during an era in which women did not usually go to college. She was raised to be a homemaker. Her grandfather paid for her brother to go to college, but not her because she was a girl. However, being a homemaker wasn’t what she wanted out of life. She decided to join the army in order to pay for her schooling. After completing her army requirements, she went to community college to get her associate’s degree and then went to a university to finish her bachelors. After that, she applied for the F.B.I. My mother’s story is what motivates me everyday when I get up for class each morning.

I work hard at work in order to pay bills such as my truck, cell phone, and school. I will continue to work hard at school until I earn my associate’s degree. Once I receive it, I will start a new voyage and begin completing my bachelors and hopefully one day being able to work for the federal government.