Angela - Vernon Hills, Illinois

I Believe

That One Person Can Change Your Life

I was in first grade when I started attending church. I didn’t know much about why I was going and what difference it would make. We had no church home. We had our services in the River Tree theatres when we could. We then moved to Lake Forest High School, then to Mundelein High School, going to any facility that would let us rent out on Sunday mornings. While only being six, I watched as older kids would dance and sing church songs, and then Ken, the director of the children’s ministry, would talk about God and what He did for us. Ken was very funny and extremely nice. He cared for others before himself.

Still attending the same church, I became closer with Ken the longer I was there and the older I became. I would go to Ken for advice and if I needed someone to talk to about God and what He wanted for me in the future. Even though Ken was a lot older, he still acted like a kid and was easy to talk to.

I believe that Ken made an impact on my life. He taught me that there’s more to life, and the best thing to do is to put your faith in God and He will guide you to where you need to go. He taught me to care for others before myself, live life to its fullest because you never know when your last day will be.

Ken had been fighting cancer for 10 years. He was doing well, and never thought of himself as a cancer victim. After he passed away a few years ago, had I then realized how much I had needed Ken to be there for me and to help me through tough times. I realized how much I had changed just by knowing one person. One small person could change me in many ways, to see the better side of things and to believe in God and love church.

If Ken was still here, he would not give himself credit for the things he has done in everyone’s lives but would tell you that it was the people themselves who changed without his help. He would say to love everyone, have no enemies, and take each breath as if it’s your last. I believe that one person can change your life.