Liza - Chicago, Illinois

Who cares what you think?!

I consider myself to be a free spirit, and the idea behind a free spirit entails but not limited to acts of: rebellion, having a hard time conforming or listening to authority, acting upon impulses, displaying wild actions, living life to the fullest! I decided to honor my spirit despite the real costs as well as the “social” costs of being judged. Possessing a free spirit to me meant living on my own terms; I believe that no one can break my spirit, no matter what will be the costs, consequences, or prices to be paid.

After taking care of myself for the past five years, I have come to the realization that at the end of the day, only my opinion matters. Of course I weighed the pros and cons of the situation, but if anyone asks me: Liza why did you do this, or why did you do that? My answer is simple I am grown and I govern myself and my actions, and this occurred when I made the conscious, yet not so thorough, decision to leave my parent’s home when I was sixteen. I did not know how to keep my mouth shut and “know my role as a child” at my age. I always remember my parents and other adults tell me: “If you think you grown, there is the door-don’t let it hit you on the way out.” I walked through that door and it hit me HARD as I crossed to the other side.

To fast forward a little, I had exhausted all of my resources including: family, friends, teachers, etc. I was at the end of the line. I was about to graduate from high school and enter college. I started doing, promoting and indulging in plenty of activities (some safe while others not so safe) which kept a steady flow of income to pay for transportation, living expenses, and other frivolous expenses that I considered necessities.

It has been four years since I left my parents home, and I was currently a junior in college, but my free spirit is still intact. I love my living arrangements because I stayed by myself. I provided everything I needed to maintain the type of lifestyle I wanted. Financially, I made sure everything was taken care of: bills paid (not necessarily in a timely fashion, but nonetheless paid) tuition covered, transportation expenses, food and nourishment, etc. Although I had little to none monetary surplus, I chose to look at the picture in an optimistic manner. That was alright by me, as long as I had my freedom!

I relied upon myself to preserve my spirit and ensure my own prosperity and welfare. I am an adult and I am responsible for all of my actions, whether they are asinine or smart. It is inevitable, people will always have opinions and judgments about me, but I will do what is best for me! The answer to the millions of questions will always be the same: Because I am a grown and I wanted to!