Thomas - Lansdowne, Pennsylvania

I don’t think any of my friends are special, they are my friends and that’s enough for me. Growing up with them, we all have bonds that will last a lifetime. We are all different in our own ways, but we all have that one thing in we all have in common. It is the end of my junior year of college and my friend just won the “Next CEO Challenge,” one is moving to Washington D.C. to become a firefighter and another friend just got back from Iraq and I have an internship with a real estate agency. All of us came from the same place but we were all very different. As different as we all are we still find the time to hang out and talk. It is because of these experiences that I believe friendship is important and not a reflection of a person’s success or future but of who that person is as an individual.

Over the past twenty-one years of my life I have met many people and formed many friendships based on who a person is and not what they are. I didn’t become friends with them because I thought it be cool to have a friend as a firefighter or a driven student. I am a friend with them because of how genuine they are as people. Friendship is more than a convenience; it is more than someone you see at the bar and certainly more than being acquainted on MySpace. I believe that friendship is what makes living life worthwhile. Friendship is your free pass in life to get away with stupid stuff because your friends know you and it’s not that big of a deal. The memories and happiness that comes from a friend is what gets a kid through his Organic Chemistry exam, its what makes the roast of a groom at a wedding mean something.

Whether my friend becomes a CEO, an Army officer, or a firefighter is irrelevant to me. They could really care less whether I am a real-estate agent either. What matters at the end of the day is that we are friends, and that alone is enough to make our lives happy