Steven - lewisburg, Pennsylvania

The Importance of Family

When I was growing up, my family was always there for me. Whether I deserved it or not, they would be there to help me if something was wrong. I believe family is the most important thing in life. I am closer with my family than anyone else on this earth. It is important for me not to forget the people that grew up with me, taught me everything I know, and love me the most.

When I was a freshman in high school, my older brother Justin was just getting over a severe case of mononucleosis and wasn’t allowed to do any physical activity due to his enlarged spleen. The first day of summer vacation, a fight broke out between the two of us because he was wearing my sunglasses. One thing led to another, fists were flying, noses were bleeding, but worst of all my new sunglasses were broken. The short temper that I have, I came back with a nasty right hook to the stomach.

That was the end of that, I sent him right to his knees. I went inside to clean up my bloody nose. When I came back outside, my grandma was over with my brother as he was vomiting and feeling light headed. My brother knew there was something wrong, she took him to the hospital right away. Several minutes later I got a phone call from my grandma and my mom telling me that Justin wasn’t doing very well and I needed to get to the hospital.

I still didn’t think anything of it until I got there. My entire family was sitting in the waiting room bawling hysterically. They informed me that the force of the punch to my brother’s stomach had ruptured his enlarged spleen and he was in emergency surgery. They weren’t sure if he was going to make it, because he had been bleeding internally for a long time.

After the longest couple hours of my life in the waiting room, thinking I killed my own brother, the doctor came out and told us he was going to be okay. The doctor told us if he would have came in a couple minutes later, he wouldn’t have made it.

That was the last fight my brother and I ever had. He is now my best friend and I couldn’t imagine what my life would be like if he wouldn’t have made it that day. That day changed my life forever. My family is the most important thing in my life and I would do anything to help them.