I believe in guardian angels. We just have to increase our willingness to listen in order to believe in them. We all have that ability but most of us do not stay tuned in to it. I believe that angels are not sitting up in Heaven to favor a few fortunate ones; their magical power can be seen in the regular people we all deal with in our lives.

As I journey through life my belief has become more solid every day. Many incidents come to mind, but I want to tell you about the one that made my belief into a conviction.

I came to the USA from India in the early seventies. I was very naive and young; I didn’t know much about American ways. I came from a big family and was always surrounded by people in India. Life suddenly became very different, as it was only my husband and me adjusting to our new homeland. He would go to work and I would stay in my apartment by myself. When I was expecting my first born, I had the same anxiety that any young mother-to-be had. Everyday I wished my mother was with me to take away my worries. Slowly, I started connecting with different people, and to my surprise this simple initiative from my side helped me understand that most people were not much different than the people I left behind, with the same qualities no matter what language they speak.

One day, an elderly woman with a radiant smile approached me, saying that she had read a lot about India and would like to know more from someone who was from that part of the world. At first I was thrilled then a little hesitant to be with a stranger, but got over it soon, as I saw there was nothing suspicious behind those simple, sparkling eyes. She was a registered nurse by profession and we became best of friends. We discussed Indian philosophy, religion, culture, pregnancy, child delivery by the Lamaz method and many more topics of interest. She became my American mother, a grandma for my daughter and helped me throughout my pregnancy and after. I took her to India when my daughter was one year old. I was so happy that she was able to see India. My family was thrilled to have her as a guest and my mother could not stop thanking this guest of honor for helping her daughter. Over the years due to several moves we lost touch with each other.

Sometimes I want to believe that angels come for a short period of time and then leave for other destinations. This essay is a tribute to my lovely friend and many others who affirmed my belief in humanity. She helped me become fearless because I know a guardian angel is never too far away.

I believe guardian angels help us connect with other human beings and help us understand that we are all part of the same whole.