Sydney - Littleton, Colorado
Themes: pleasure

Money Can’t Buy Happiness, but Neither Can Poverty

Throughout my entire life I was told that money can’t buy happiness, implying that the happiest people are the poorest. I think this leads to confusion about what happiness is.

I have been happy throughout my entire life; some events required a large sum of money whereas others were free from any price tag at all. I remember watching my cousin’s baby crack up while playing with a simple cardboard box with complete disregard to the flashing light-up toy that it contained. My cousins didn’t have to spend any money at all to make their child laugh; just give her, a simple box and yet this laughter was uncontained. While watching this baby laugh a smile came across my face. Because there is nothing that can make a person happy faster than listing to the bright cheery giggle of a baby.

Nevertheless, there are also many events in my life where happiness has been caused as a result of money. It is an unbelievable experience to plunge 70 feet down into crystal, clear, salt water to see life the way the fishes do. Nevertheless, this experience will cost you a pretty penny, but the feeling after surfacing and your mouth feeling completely dry from breathing from an air tank can only result in a smile. Yet, watching an eight foot neon green eel swim by you so close that you can touch it is enough to get your adrenaline going. Adrenaline is free, but the way you got there wasn’t. So doesn’t that fall under the category that money didn’t buy my happiness.

On the contrary, money has never bought my happiness because there is no correlation between the two. I’m perfectly happy watching a baby laugh, but I don’t want do give up scuba diving either because it costs money. I believe that it is not the money that makes the event enjoyable, or the lack there of. I believe it is the people you are with and your feelings towards the event. The money issue is not related at all.

Therefore, this I believe, money can’t buy happiness, but neither can poverty.