Dustin - Irvine, Kentucky

I believe that college can change a student’s outlook on life and also change the way they act. I also believe that college can be one of the most memorable and exciting moments in a student’s life. College can be a time of struggle and pain. It is simply what one makes out of it. There are a lot of traps that many students fall into while in college. Peer pressure is a major trap to fall in. Many decisions that are made by students are based on what their friends decide to do. The number one peer pressured situation that most students get their selves into is drinking. They choose to drink because their friends are doing what seems to be “cool”. The actual “cool” people are the students who walk away from the situation. I am a student who struggled to get out.

When college began in the fall, it didn’t take long for me to discover this deep trap. As a matter of fact, all of my friends from my hometown school fell in. All we did was party and drink. We turned down homework and class to drink and sleep in. This resulted in bad grades and many hangovers. I knew what I was doing wasn’t good for me, but I just kept on drinking when my friends drank. Drinking causes nothing but problems. I began having problems with my family, friends, and of course school. I finally realized that I had to stop and I did. My life feels like it has meaning now. I feel like I can accomplish anything I put effort into. When I was drinking all I felt was depression. I’m not going to lie. I had fun while drinking, but all of the after effects that came with drinking canceled out the fun. Now, I am more involved with my school. I just recently returned from Slidell, LA working with habitat for humanity for Hurricane Katrina victims. I am attending many other events as well.

I have learned from my mistakes from the previous experiences and this is why I believe college affects students.

As I look up into the sky.

I ask myself questions and wonder why,

Why must we do the things we do?

Is it because someone wants you to?

People today try to fit in the crowd,

That crowd being the one our parents wouldn’t allow,

We all have made choices and we have all caused pain,

But why do we do it? There is nothing to gain,

Don’t feel bad,

Don’t feel ashamed,

Just look back and learn on the mistakes you have overcame,

As you come upon the fork in your road,

I hope you choose the right way to go.

I wrote this poem after I got out of the drinking scene.