Neil - Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

Humbleness and Service

I believe life requires a humble attitude in order to treat others with love and respect. This belief was planted in me at a very young age and has been watered and nourished throughout my 21 years. As I have grown to better understand this belief, it has molded and shaped me into the person that I am today, like a potter molds clay.

When I was a young boy growing up in rural Pennsylvania, my mom taught me to share and to play nice with the other kids in my playgroup. This was no easy task because I had my favorite toys, and I didn’t want anyone else to have the chance to play with “my” toys. If another toddler tried to play with one of “my” toys, I would do whatever I could to get it back into my possession. My selfishness and stubbornness went directly against what my mom was teaching me. As a result, I had plenty of toys to play with but no friends to play with. As I look back, I was learning about how to treat others with love and respect, but my actions didn’t demonstrate what Mom was teaching me. My life revolved around me and how I could attain happiness and not around others and how I could help meet their needs.

I have grown and matured a great deal since my days as a toddler. My mom’s constant pouring into my life has paid dividends. I now see the impact that showing love and respect has on people on a daily basis. Love and respect can be shown in a variety of ways, but it can be as simple as holding a door a few seconds longer until the next person reaches it or just listening to a friend who is going through a rough time in life. Along with showing love and respect, having a humble attitude is important as I interact with those that I come in contact with on a daily basis. It is still hard for me to put others’ needs in front of my own, especially when it involves something that I want to avoid at all cost. I am learning, though, that I get more joy and satisfaction out of life when I am able to help friends and others in their journey through life.

My being is based on the belief that love and respect for others, along with a humble attitude, will allow my life to be more complete and fulfilling. This belief that was instilled in me continues to be my outlook on life on a daily basis. If I can continue to put others’ needs in front of my own needs, I will consider my life to be a succes