Steven - El Paso, Texas
Themes: sports

I believe in the power of unity in sports. Now you might be thinking that I am talking about the unity that comes from participating in a team and becoming one with your team members after all this is very important but that is not what I am talking about. I am writing about a kind of unity that is even more important the type that comes from being a fan and supporting a team.

Some of you may not yet begin to understand what a team can do to the spirit of a community and even a nation in tough times. The best and most well know example that I could come up with was the devastation that was brought on by Katrina in New Orleans. This great beast left this city in ruins and shame but they were able to overcome thanks to help from other states and the people helping them selves. Help also came from another unmentioned place one that many have yet to recognize.

I am talking about the NEW ORLEAN SAINTS a football team that in 2006 was able to help this city in a way that nobody else could. They were able to raise their sprits and their hope that everything would be okay. They were able to achieve this amazing feat by coming out of a 2005 season were they played down right horrible and then coming back the next year and becoming one this of the most dominate teams in 2006. The people of New Orleans saw this and applied it to what they had gone through I it also helped turn them to something positive in the middle of chaos.

In my life I have seen the effect that sports can have on people a winning team can bring people’s spirits up, it can also keep families close by bring them together every Sunday to watch their favorite football team.