Neha - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, setbacks

It was just an ordinary evening, as my sister, my mother and I were walking home from the temple; all of a sudden, I noticed my little sister was in the middle of the street. Just a few seconds ago she was still holding my hand as we were looking both ways waiting to cross the street. She had let go of my hand, ran out on to the street and been hit by a motorcycle. The driver had just hit her and drove off. We rushed to her aid and helped her up. There was no blood visible so we didn’t think much of it. We thanked God, thinking he had watched over her and saved her, and continued home. My little sister fell asleep but did not wake up for another 18 hours. Every time my mother tried to wake her, she would go right back to sleep. Little did we know, the accident had done serous damage to her brain. My mother immediately called the doctor and rushed her to the emergency room. The doctor told my mother that if she had waited any longer, he wouldn’t have been able to save her.

At this point in my life, I realized how important my family and loved ones are to me. I believe that there is nothing more important than the people that are closest to you. I didn’t realize how important my family was to me until I almost lost someone very close to me. I realized at that moment that I had never made the effort to let my sister and the rest of my family know how much I love and care for them. If she hadn’t been saved that night, then I may have never had the chance to tell her. I believe that it is important to let your loved ones know how much you care for them and love them everyday. Who knows? You may not get the chance to tell them tomorrow. You never know what you have until you almost lose it. I learned that the hard way. So now, everyday of my life, I make sure that everyone close to me knows how much they mean to me and how much I love them.