Wilfred - Miami, Florida

I believe that the lack of a solid parental figure for children creates a generation brought up by media. The lack of parental figures allows the media to become the mother and father. Instilling what they may, thus creating a society based on a brainwashing consisting of 30 second advertisements and 24 hour news networks. A generation based on what the media considers the norm and a generation that is desensitized to violence.

Rather than passing on virtues and wisdom, we are giving future generations Attention Deficit Disorder and anger problems. It is not only the lack of parenting, but the nature in which information is presented to children through the media. Commercials today do not hold a frame on the screen for longer than 30 seconds. We have billboards that change what they display every few minutes. Everywhere you look you are likely to see an advertisement. Even walking the beach, if you look up at the sky you will see advertisements flying across the horizon. If you look toward the beach you might see someone with body art advertisements.

Today’s children spend more time with television than they do with their parents. We have television shows that are supposed to teach kids morals, virtues, addition and subtraction. What we need are parents that teach our kids these things. Today’s children are being raised by a media that only cares about what’s hot, what’s not, and what will get us laid. It is no longer a question of morals or how good of a person we are, but a question of our bank account, car we drive and the clothes we wear that represents how good of a person we are.