Alberto - El Paso, Texas

I believe in opportunities…… opportunities that only happen once, and that you must take before time itself takes it away from you.

It occurred almost 3 years ago, I remember I always used to go to my cousin’s house and sleep over at his place. I have been doing this since I can remember. Right across the street there was my grandfather’s house. He lived by himself, but we visited him weekly to greet him and stay with him for a while. That was the reason that I liked to go. So I could greet my grandpa and then stay over at my cousin’s.

The time passed and we grew older, as where my grandpa did age, and walked slower by the years. I still went to my cousin’s house, but now I regularly helped them in the store. Every single week that I stood over, it was like a routine. We went to work, then have breakfast, and afterwards come back to help. Since my grandpa lived alone, my aunt made him food, and I usually took his breakfast over so that he would eat. He usually was outside, watering his trees. My grandpa was always doing something; he was a very active person despite of his age. I walked up to him and greeted him. “Buenos dias abuelito” I announced, and he turned which such delight that he urged to open me the door. I walked in and told him that I had brought breakfast. Immediately, he reflected a grin on his face and he offered me some food so that both of us would dine together. At that very moment, I did not think of having breakfast with my grandfather. Instead I was focusing on going over to my uncle’s place and having breakfast there. So I thankfully denied my grandpa’s proposal and I left him once again alone.

I did this so often then, that after a while I started to feel bad about my grandpa’s loneliness. I started to worry that I; being his grandson, have not dedicated enough time to him. Even when he has asked me to join him for a single breakfast, I felt that I had rejected him. Unfortunately, it had occurred to me; I was awakened by my father’s voice when he informed me that my grandfather had just passed away. The thought of it made my mind go blank, and my blood ran cold and slow. I simply could not believe it, then it came to my mind; his constant offers to have breakfast with him. It was as if an opportunity has always been there and I did not grasp it to enjoy it. Soon after I fell into tears, because I had just let go of an only opportunity.

Opportunities are everywhere, even if you cannot see them, they are always there. You must have to open your eyes to notice that they are there, in front of you, waiting for you to grasp them tightly.