Matthew - 06107, Connecticut

I don’t look forward to tonight. I don’t look forward to tomorrow. I don’t look forward to a month from now when I graduate college. I don’t even look forward to this coming month when I begin my dream job. This is because, I don’t look forward.

When I was a kid, I looked forward to my birthday. When my birthday passed, I looked forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can remember not being able to sleep the night before a big trip with family or friends. As I aged, my view of excitement changed. In High School I looked forward to the next Yankees game on T.V., the next great trip with my friends, or the next great party. I found it a hassle to sit around the dinner table for an hour each night, because I wanted to be with my friends doing something I believed to be more fun.

As I look back now, older and wiser, I’ve realized that I spent so much time looking forward, that I never just looked. Always looking ahead to the next great moment, I never took the time to look around and enjoy what I had. It was then that I realized that it’s not what I am doing, but who I am doing it with. Even if I’m alone, there is beauty in every moment. I now realize that the one hour a night I spent with my family around the dinner table was just as meaningful as the seemingly endless nights of laughter and enjoyment with my friends. The time I spent with my friends sitting on the hoods of our cars deciding what to do for the night, or the time I spent reading a book, was just as fulfilling as anything else.

Since the time I realized this, my life hasn’t been the same. I try to enjoy each day to the fullest by living in the moment. It is now that I know I have a very long life too live. From this moment until the time I pass on, I know that I will never lose a day of excitement because I believe in living in the moment.

“Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don’t.” Melody Beattie