Rene - El Paso, Texas

I believe “Senioritis” should be considered a real disease.

I believe “Senioritis” should be considered a real disease. Senioritis is real. So real that it could very well be up there with Chicken Pox, Syphilis, Spinal Meningitis, and even the West Nile Disease. Symptoms include the following, ongoing occurrences of laziness, inability to complete work, sudden loss of hearing during instructions, Amnesia of your surrounding area; instead of school you end up in your home or the mall.

I myself have felt these symptoms quite frequently in the past year. The past three years of high school I have been motivated and eager to do the best I could. That’s exactly what happened, I would come to school, do my work and pass every class the way the Russia passed the rest of the world with flying to the moon. I was on top, I was doing awesome in all my classes.

In my Media Technology class I remember one of my senior class mates would never do work, he’d always claim to have been struck by the disease that is Senioritis. Every second we’d talk I would always wonder, how does he not care about getting his work done and making sure he’s on top of everything. Then my senior year came along.

The first day of school I went in excited knowing this was the final stretch. After this year I would be done and I’d be off on my own into the big open world. A couple of weeks went by and I was doing just as well as I had done the previous years. Then one day I went into class and received my assignment for the day. I stared at it lying lifelessly and flat on my desk for a few minutes. Then I stared some more, and some more and some more. It hit me, I did not want to do the assignment. So I didn’t.

Since that day the motivation I had before was consumed by the thought of just wanting to be done already so I’d no longer have to do this work. I would be on my way to school after lunch and I’d suffer through one of the symptoms I mentioned earlier. I’d forget about school and end up at the mall. Any opportunity I had to miss class to do something else I’d take it, and I felt it hard to keep up with all my work.

Now I’m nearing the end of my high school years and the year that has brought down my GPA. I cannot lie and say I don’t regret the way I handled my responsibilities this year. But hey I know it wasn’t my fault, I didn’t choose to become ill with Senioritis. It chose me. So I believe that Senioritis should be considered a real disease; because an official disease presents official ideas for a cure.