Marcus - Washington, District of Columbia
Themes: golden rule

What Goes Around Comes Around

I believe in treating people the way you would like them to treat you, in other words, karma. Karma is defined as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation. This one lesson that never gets old.

There have been a slew of relationships that I have been in where I have been cheated on and lied too for no reason at all and the part that has helped me get through the emotional distress is that I know all of the positive energy I put into the relationships and as hard as I loved and struggled to keep the relationship working, that I will soon get the same love in return.

My most memorable relationship is when I did all I could to better this girl, I gave her advice, and contacts so she could fix that mess she made of her life, and once she had gotten everything together, she left me. Well that’s not quit how it happened, see we had been talking since high school and me leaving for college was a very big and emotional moment for us. The night before it was time for me to leave we hung out that entire night, just riding around saying bye to people and went out to eat. We had been riding so long that by the time I was headed back to her house she was asleep in the passenger seat, but the funny and adorable thing was that as soon as I arrived at her house she automatically woke up with tears in her eyes. Over whelmed by this sight I got a little moist around the eyes too. It was 5 a.m. when I dropped her off and I had to be on the road to head up to Penn State, which will soon be my alma mater, at 8a.m. so me and sleep weren’t going to meet until I got settled on campus.

Just the sight of tears in her eyes not only brought them to mine as well but warmed my heart and gave me hope that maybe this one was that “special one,” but little did I know in a few short months I would find out other wise. The entire month of September I was really sad and wanted to come home but I told myself I was going to stay up here for one complete month just to get adjusted to college life so it was hard but I had my baby right there to support me. She would call everyday and we would talk about any and everything, she even paid my phone bill so my mother wouldn’t have too. The first month was blissful, she had begun college at University of the District of Columbia and even had a government job in DC so the plan was for us just to consume ourselves in our work that we won’t even notice the absence of one another. But by October, I was the only who had seemed to remember the agreement.

October the phone calls slowed down, even though my visits home interested to every weekend almost I guess it wasn’t enough. November came and I could feel that things just weren’t right, my heart would be hurting and I didn’t know why. But by December I knew why, we were home in a hotel spending my last night in town together and she appeared to very stand-offish but I ignored it and just pretended like everything was normal. Until I listened to her voicemails and heard a male, whom I didn’t know, saying he missed her and he wanted to see what she was doing for the night before he made plans of his own. This was the climax for me…all of the odd behavior and distance that I was feeling between us because of the guy on the other end of the voicemail. Now I am a emotional person, but in a weird way, because I can be violent and crying at the same time, so at this point she didn’t know what I would next so after I heard it, I cursed her out with every word I had ever picked up in school, from family members in drunk rages, passing by crack heads on the corner or from watching the most degrading movie ever, all of those words came in handy at that very moment. Then I paid for the room and attempted to leave her but by the time I got to my car she was sitting in the passenger sit so I ride home singing depressing songs, came to slow speed in front of her house and told her to get out and never speak to me again.

Also just knowing that “what goes around comes around” and the same way I was lied too and cheated on that will come back unto my ex in due time. The irony and sorry to say but the pleasure was returned when a year later I found out that my ex’s new boyfriend was cheating on her and lying to her because he was unhappy in the relationship. The dream we had of moving in together she made reality with another man to have karma come back around and bite her in the ass.

We have had some conversations from time to time but nothing too major, just to check up and see how I’m doing, and lately I’m learning to forgive people so it would eat at me for the rest of my life so I called her on her birthday and left a really nice voicemail, I wonder if she got it?

Now the question you may be thinking is why would I still be nice to someone who has treated me so terribly, well simple, because I believe in treating people the way you would like them to treat you, in other words, karma!!