Justin - El paso, Texas

I believe that choosing one’s own faith opens up the world of opportunities.

Some people might say they have faith in god, or faith in love and so on goes the list. Me personally, I don’t. I gave up on god and the catholic religion about ten years ago, when I was in catechism. The longer I stayed in the class the more I realized “This isn’t it; it makes no sense to me.” “How could people be so blind?”

That’s when the door of opportunities opened up for me, I was renewed with a fresh sense of direction, I started to think for myself and not others like my neighbors next door wanted me too. Sammy was that religious guy, his family ate and drank the catholic religion, I got tired of that, my faith lies with music and thrill seeking, and I do what I want and when I want to. I do the things that the catholic religions forbid me to do. I guess you can call me a sinner! I stay out all the hours of the night, have a few drinks with my family and on Fort Bliss, and fight for the freedom of our country. I am a Private E1 in the Texas Army National Guard. We provide the opportunity for every American citizen to practice their own faith, and yet many people still fight over whose religion is true, and whose god is the real god. For all sides, you can’t prove that god, buddha, allah, etc. exist and you can’t prove that they don’t exist. Millions of people have died and are still dying over holy conflicts day in and day out. I joined the military for a not to prove the true faith, but to make a career out of it and to help my friends and family live a safe life knowing they have a bed to wake up in the next morning. They don’t have to worry about getting bombed or shot on the way to and from school. Most of all they shouldn’t have to worry about what faith they choose to believe in, that’s what our Fore Fathers fought for before us and that is what I choose to defend. When will the world realize to just live life and move forward and respect other men’s views, This I believe.