Nichole - San Marcos, Texas

Living Blind to Reality

The majority of people today tend to spend their lives always wanting something more. The typical American goes through life sacrificing his or her time working forty hours a week just so they can buy that five bedroom house they’ve always wanted, or so their families can be dressed in the newest fashions, but we never stop to think “why”? I believe that it is important to give up material possessions and live one day at a time because you never know when your last breath will be. This belief is tested daily as I am influenced by my peers to dive into the material world, but it keeps me grounded to understand that in the end possessions can not buy happiness.

People tend to go through life worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow, or next week, and they never stop to think about the present. As a senior in high school, I was your typical teenage girl who constantly thought about what clothes I was wearing, or what type of car I was driving, and I was completely blind to reality. I was rushing through my life striving for what was at the end of the tunnel, yet I never stopped to be grateful for what I already had like a loving family, a fabulous boyfriend, and the best friends in the world.

During the summer after my senior year of high school, I took a mission trip to Honduras where we worked with children at an orphanage and helped them renovate their old building. Seeing these poor poverty struck children without food, without running water, or without a sturdy roof over their head made me feel as if someone finally opened my eyes to reality and made me recognize the importance of today. I realized that there are children in this world that are striving to live one more day, or that are overwhelmed with excitement to have someone read to them once a year while I am so wrapped up in the material world that my biggest concern is if the outfit that I am wearing is in style. This trip to Honduras made me realize how significant it is that I am getting to go to college and get a higher education, how significant it is that I have the money and resources to eat three meals a day, and how significant it is that when all else fails I will still have a family to fall back on if I need them. The troubles that these children are facing have made me believe in the importance of dreaming big and fulfilling those dreams because life is too short to be cautious. I believe in not becoming so overwhelmed by the future that today ceases to exist. In the words of James Dean the basis of my belief is to “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today”.