Guillermo - El Paso, Texas

This I Believe…..

I believe that justice is served differently on different people. If you are a mad person, then you would think that a harsh punishment is good justice. If you’re a nice person, then maybe a warning will do for now. To most people justice is punishment, for others it’s doing the exact thing they did like an eye for eye, a tooth for tooth.

I remember when I was in second grade, I was about 7 years old, my grandma used to live with us. She would always tell me and my brother to not fight right away when there is a problem, you should just try to solve it like normal mature people but we were just kids, so she also told us to tell our teacher if a classmate wanted to pick a fight. If our teacher ignored us then we should tell our principal, now if she also did nothing then you take matters into your hands.

He threatened me that if I didn’t do his work, he would stop being my friend. Then after school as I was walking home he followed right into the parking lot and he punched in the face then pushed me and ran away, I didn’t know what to do, to get up and chase him and kick his but or just walk home. When I lay on the floor I just started crying and my teacher saw the whole thing and took me home, which was 1 block away.

Then next day, I expected him not to show up to school because he would get punished, but he was right there. Then again after school he did the same thing but my mom was waiting for me and saw me crying again, so she took me to my teacher then to the principal because she would do something about it. I thought for sure that he was going to be expelled, but again he was in class smiling and laughing at me.

Then my teacher told in front of the whole class to not go crying to my mom because I dint know how to fight. Everyone started laughing at me and I got real pissed. After school I saw him walking his way to his house, I thought he was going chase me again. I picked up a rock and threw it at him and it hit him right in the elbow. He started crying and I just ran home.

The next day at school I was real proud because I had just made the bully of the class cry like a baby. My teacher started yelling at me saying that I had to go to lunch detention for a whole month because what I did was real bad. I didn’t think that justice was served but I guess I was wrong, because I got punished.