Lisa - State College, Pennsylvania

Little Things

My mother always told me it’s the little things that matter most in life. She always makes me appreciate the things in life that most people overlook. Remembering the moments in life that everyone lets pass them by has forced me to look at my life in way others do not.

Since becoming a member of a sorority in the fall of my sophomore year, I have become close to many fantastic people. These people have encouraged me to open my eyes to opinions I would have never considered in the past. Even though I will not remember every detail of my experiences with them, my friends have taught me to take notes of the little things in life.

Because my friends and I are graduating soon, we have recently been reminding each other of all the fun times we have spent together over the last four years. While most of my friends mention a football game, a weekend getaway, or an interesting class, I am reminded of the simple things that I cherish the most.

In January of 2006, I left Penn State to study abroad in Sevilla, Spain. Halfway through fall 2005 semester, my roommate, Lauren, and I were beginning to realize I would be leaving very soon. As usual, we were lying in our beds one night, chatting about the day’s events right before we fell asleep. In order to get a little closer, we decided to push our twin beds together, so we could sleep right next to each other. When all of our friends came into our room the next day, they thought we were crazy for wanting to sleep next to each other. However, that dissatisfaction soon turned into everyone piling on our huge bed to watch a movie or our favorite televisions shows together. The moments I spent with my sisters and best friends simply enjoying each other’s company are memories I will never forget.

I believe that we all need to take the time to appreciate the littlest moments in our lives before they are gone forever. So instead of remembering an entire beach vacation, I remember how the sand felt between my toes, or how the ocean breeze felt against my suntanned skin. When I take the time to think how lucky I am to be in that moment, I form a memory that lasts forever. Thanks to my mother, I believe it’s the little things that matter most in life.